New Wine Skin

Today’s reading comes from the Gospel of Luke. “And he also told them a parable. “No one tears a piece from a new cloak to patch an old one. Otherwise, he will tear the new and the piece from it will not match the old cloak. Likewise, no one pours new wine into old wineskins. Otherwise, the new wine will burst the skins, and it will be spilled, and the skins will be ruined.” Luke 5:36-37 Old wine skins are no longer pliable, that is, they have no give. They are not flexible. Fermentation of new wine cannot happen. If I am to allow for Christ to work in me, I need to possess a new wine skin. I need to be flexible. I need to be pliable. Being a Christian is not easy, and for someone who is ridged, having no room to rethink their paradigm or even room for change it is impossible. Your “skin” will tear and the new wine will spill out. I am reminded to discern where I may still be closed to hearing God’s words and implementing them in my life. Sometimes we follow others with confining interpretations of God’s words, wants and love. Discernment is a way to make sure we have new wine skins to allow the word of God, God’s will for us to ferment in us. Lord, help us to make our skins new for you to work in us on the path… 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Patience and Hope

Trust

Be Ready